BestGamer.Ru Work on the English Translation... [Архив] - Игровые Форумы
Архив форумов Best Gamer.
Оригинал форумов можно найти здесь Игровые форумы BestGamer.Ru.

PDA

Просмотр полной версии : Work on the English Translation...

LordDrow
21.07.2008, 05:14
Has the work on the english language translation of your mods come to a halt, or is it still in production currently?
I really love what you folks have done with Age of Pirates/Corsairs and would love to have a chance to play your mods all the way to the end.

Thanks!

LordDrow

Kopcap
21.07.2008, 10:46
now we don't work on the english version... we do russian version 1.0.
After that version 1.0 will be ready we will be do english version, but we need people who know english and russian language.

LordDrow
22.07.2008, 04:53
Well I don't speak Russian, but I'm willing to do the best I can using the translation tools I have at hand.
If I can be kept up to date on fixes, additions and modifications to the mods, I'm more than willing to help all I can.
My biggest worry is making sure that the translations I do not only sound good in english, but maintain the stories that your writers are telling.
Thanks for any help you can give, and as I get snippets of stuff translated, I'll post them here for you folks to let me know if they read well or are crap.

Thanks!

LordDrow

SeadogX
22.07.2008, 16:16
Dear Corsair, you know, maybe it looks strange, but I still want to continue my work on translation consider the fact I have already completed 60% of old version dialogs :Happy2:

2 LordDrow, mate, the problem is that if you would translate anything using just a computer program and don't understand the language by yourself it would be more than bad translation ;)

LordDrow
23.07.2008, 06:09
SeadogX - I understand that good sir, but if you can get the general info that makes for the important parts of the translation, it is easy enough to re-build the text into something that makes sense to an english speaking player AND can maintain the original spirit of the story.

Example:
Original Russian:
Подумать только, вчера у меня было все: свое судно, корабль, уважение и почёт. . ., но сегодня судьба бросает мне испытание. Вчера Я попал в ужасный шторм, мой корабль чудом уцелел. И все бы ничего, если бы не эти англичане, Я наткнулся на своем израненном штормом корвете на два английских судна. Хм, и вот Я в неволе, нужно выбираться из этой дыры и побыстрее. . .

Initial English Translation(Provided by Google):
Consider only yesterday I had everything: his ship, boat, dignity and honour. . . But today the fate throws me a test. Yesterday I hit the terrible storm, my ship miraculously survived. And all would be nothing if not for these Englishmen, I stumbled upon on his wounded by storm in two British corvette ship. Hr, and here I am in captivity, have to choose from this hole and quickly. . .

My final translation:

Only yesterday, I had everything a captain could want, a ship, the open sea, dignity and honor...But today fickle fate put me to the test. First the incredible storm which near tore the sheets from our masts and left our vessel limping slowly for port, then the English corvettes, two of them over-taking us with ease and putting crew and myself in chains...I must escape this hell-hole, and quickly...

So did I do a decent enough translation, or is that crap?

LordDrow

SeadogX
23.07.2008, 13:26
well, the style was changed but i like your job :)
do you have icq? my number is 234333324, just add me, we will talk about this case :)

SeadogX
23.07.2008, 13:27
btw what the program it was? it looks like PROMT would translate this text much worse, but this one was really good
oh, i read it again and understood that even not style, but also details were changed, anyway - as i said - i like it, and anyway, it's better than nothing or than work of one man
about style one more thing - it is rather important part, cuz i want english version the same "emotional" as the original, sadly, as not an english or an american, i can't do it very correct also, but some things like "aye" instead of "yes" will be very good and very needable
well... just find me in icq =)

LordDrow
23.07.2008, 20:48
I just went to www.google.com (http://www.google.com) and used the language tools they have there. I've been pulling out individual sections of text, running it through the Russian -> English translation and the rewriting it to make sense in english. Occasionally there are words that show up that have no English equivalent, and those are the words I'll need help with to maitain that emotional state you mention as wanting to maintain.
I feel the same way. I want the story to maintain the same feelings that the russian players got that first time they played through.
I do have an ICQ #, but haven't used it in a long time. I'll see if I can get that up and running and chat with you.
Thanks for the comments and I'll do my best to occasionally show you new translations.

LordDrow
23.07.2008, 22:48
Here are a couple of examples of words that didn't translate into english so well. Think you can give me a better idea of what these words mean rather than the odd word they became in english?

откажешь = otkazhesh
смекалке = smekalke

Neither of these translated into anything understandable. czc

SeadogX
24.07.2008, 00:30
Here are a couple of examples of words that didn't translate into english so well. Think you can give me a better idea of what these words mean rather than the odd word they became in english?

откажешь = otkazhesh
смекалке = smekalke

Neither of these translated into anything understandable. czc
откажешь = отказывать = to refuse
смекалке = смекалка = mother wit, sharpness, keenness of wit

LordDrow, I wonder if you could tell me your native county and language, please :)

P.S. and I'm still waiting for your icq-message ;)

LordDrow
24.07.2008, 02:19
LordDrow, I wonder if you could tell me your native county and language, please :)

P.S. and I'm still waiting for your icq-message ;)
I'm American and my native language is English. I'm at work right now and haven't been able to sneak past our security here, so I'll have to wait until I'm home to install a new copy of ICQ and give you a shout-out.

SeadogX
24.07.2008, 02:31
oh, okay :) then sorry me if i'm bad in grammar sometimes. By the way it's very good that you are nativespeaker, it means you will be able to explain and to recommend some best variants of language style, cuz we need real "caribbean english" :)

LordDrow
24.07.2008, 02:58
I'd say your grammar isn't all to bad. I've had friends all over the world, many that when I first met them on-line 'spoke' (typed) very broken English. Just like anything, practice makes perfect.
I'm about to leave work now. When I get home, I'll install ICQ and get logged in. I believe my ICQ number is 27-77-695.
Chat with you later tonight!

LordDrow
25.07.2008, 04:10
Something I've realized while working on the written translation is that I'm going to need written versions of all the custom audio files you folks have done so I can put in english language versions. Thats the only way I'd really consider it a proper english translation. As well as maintaining the proper atmosphere you have in the game.
If someone could work on a file list with text of what was said in native russian, that would be terrific.
Thanks!
LordDrow

SeadogX
25.07.2008, 13:56
sadly, i didn't understand your last post, what audio do you mean? first of all we should complete the dialogues in text version, i'll give you part of them, when you meet me in icq and you'll complete them, then return to me and then i'll give you the plan of futher work

and don't forget that there will be a lot of new dialogues and other things in 1.0 russian release, so we'll have to translate it too, maybe Corsair will give me 1.0 dialogues before the release, then it'll be faster.

finally, I think we should work with aim to release SoFS 1.0 English Version to the winter holidays and better of all to the New Year, so release should be somewhere about 25-31 of December 2008.

also it's important to understand that English 1.0 will be different from Russian 1.0, perhaps there we would even have a few new dialogues and quests.

LordDrow
25.07.2008, 19:01
Sound good. I've just been working on my own on the dialogue files. I look forward to actually chatting with you regarding the work. My local time is -6 GMT - I work from 8am until at least 5pm, Monday through Friday.
Hope to see you there tonight sometime!

SeadogX
26.07.2008, 01:32
damn, it looks like we have a big problem of difference between our time zones, i think the only chance to meet each other online it is if you are online at your night about 0 or 1 hours a.m., it will be my morning, about 9 or 10 a.m., so there we can meet ) because now i have 0:23 and you just 14:23 as i understand, so even if i will wait to 3 hours of night you would still have 17 hours and you are at work or moving home...

i'll spent this weekend in the country (i mean dacha, summer cottage), so i'd have icq only in my mobile phone and even if you find me there, it'll be difficult to speak, so i propose to try this YOUR-NIGHT-MY-MORNING meeting on my monday's morning, so for you it will be sunday's late evening and beginning of monday.

P.S. i have never worked with guy from the US, but i hope we'll find the way out, your help will be really useful :)

LordDrow
28.07.2008, 05:10
I've just been busy translating away. So far all the work has been just getting the program translated text into place. The next step once I've finished all of that will be to go back through and re-edit all the text into grammatically correct entlish that I am hoping will do a real good job of maintaining the feeling in your original story.
Below is a list of various words that just don't translate into english very well. I'll post more as I find them later.
рому = Roma
рома = Roma
тупость = tupost
Молодец = Молодец
мойму = moymu
поживаешь = pozhivaesh
потрепаться = potrepatsya
кружечкой = kruzhechkoy
девки = devki ? Not sure if these are even the equivalents
четырехствольный = chetyrehstvolny
чарке = charka
Забористый = Zaboristy
промочим = promochim
трактирщик = traktirschik
Минутку = Minutko
Успокойтесь = Uspokoytes
прохудился = ?
лоханка = lohanka
неряхой = neryahoy
Опомнись = Opomnis
трещит = treschit
УБЬЮ = UBYU
кораболём = korabolem
прекрастный = prekrastny

SeadogX
28.07.2008, 11:54
Below is a list of various words that just don't translate into english very well. I'll post more as I find them later.
рому = Roma
рома = Roma
тупость = tupost
Молодец = Молодец
мойму = moymu
поживаешь = pozhivaesh
потрепаться = potrepatsya
кружечкой = kruzhechkoy
девки = devki ? Not sure if these are even the equivalents
четырехствольный = chetyrehstvolny
чарке = charka
Забористый = Zaboristy
промочим = promochim
трактирщик = traktirschik
Минутку = Minutko
Успокойтесь = Uspokoytes
прохудился = ?
лоханка = lohanka
неряхой = neryahoy
Опомнись = Opomnis
трещит = treschit
УБЬЮ = UBYU
кораболём = korabolem
прекрастный = prekrastny

yea, russian cases are difficult to understant for foreighner :) don't worry, I'll show you the way through this forest :Happy:

and here we go:

рому = ром = rum
рома = ром = rum
тупость = dullness, stupidity
молодец = attaboy!, goodman!, well done!
моему, it's from по-моему = in my opinion, to my mind
поживаешь = well, for example "как поживаешь?" means "how do you do"?, literally it means "live"
потрепаться = well... 1) it can mean "be worn out", "get worn out" 2) it can mean "chat", "jabber"
кружечкой = this is diminutive from "кружка", means "cannikin", as i understand it's the diminutive from "mug"
девки = plural from "wench", "girl", "maid", a bit more rude than just a "girl" (well as i understand "wench" is the best here)
четырехствольный - quadruple (four barrels gun)
чарке = чарка = cup
забористый = strong, pungent
промочим = drench, soak
трактирщик = tavern-keeper (it looks like in Age of Pirates they usually use "barman")
минутку = just a minute, one minute
успокойтесь = calm down, become quiet
прохудился = be worn out
лоханка = oh, I don't know, you should know better, but it means contemptuous name of a ship, smth like "tub"
неряхой = неряха = sloven
опомнись = regain consciousness, come round
трещит = crack; crackle if it is about items, also it can be chatting or jabber
убью = kill
кораблем = ship (by the ship)
прекрасный = beatiful, wonderful

a few last words were written with a mistake, maybe it was the reason why you were not able to find the translation :)

P.S. Корс, ошибки чистить надо в 1.0, вот из-за "прекрасТных" человек перевести не может :)

dima12
28.07.2008, 15:16
In version 0.8.0225 there are spelling and syntactic mistakes at offers. From it some words it is simply impossible to translate into English language. It will be corrected in the following version "SoFS". Besides it at quests there are small picturesque words which as cause difficulties in translation because they are not dictionary. In the English version to you will have to think out it equivalents. I consider, that translation will be reduced to copying a part of dialogues that in English they were as are interesting and effective, as sound in Russian.

Successes! I Hope, that in other English-speaking countries our game as is pleasant to fans of piracy sagas.

LordDrow
29.07.2008, 04:13
In version 0.8.0225 there are spelling and syntactic mistakes at offers. From it some words it is simply impossible to translate into English language. It will be corrected in the following version "SoFS". Besides it at quests there are small picturesque words which as cause difficulties in translation because they are not dictionary. In the English version to you will have to think out it equivalents. I consider, that translation will be reduced to copying a part of dialogues that in English they were as are interesting and effective, as sound in Russian.

Successes! I Hope, that in other English-speaking countries our game as is pleasant to fans of piracy sagas.
Thank you very much for your well wishes. I can tell you this much, what you have done with Age of Pirates is what we here in the west were hoping for when we first bought the game. We have been disappointed again and again by Playlogic with thier patches to 'fix' the game and all the other problems we have had.
But seeing what you here and the folks over at SLiB have done continue to give us hope that there will be a truly worthwhile pirate game made.
I keep seeing all these wonderful looking games from developers in Russia and it makes me wish I actually knew how to read and speak the language just so I can experience them the way they were originally made.
I'll do my best to make sure that the English translation will read well and be as fun as what you have made.

Большое спасибо за ваши пожелания хорошо. Я могу сказать вам, это большое, что вы сделали с возрастом пиратов то, что мы здесь, в западной надеялись, когда мы купили первую игру. Мы были разочарованы снова и снова, Playlogic с их патчи для "исправления" игру и всех других проблем, которые мы испытали.

Но видеть, что вы здесь, и за ребят на SLiB сделали-прежнему дают нам надежду на то, что будет действительно полезным пиратские игры выступил.

Я все время видим все эти прекрасные перспективных игры от разработчиков в России, и она делает мне хотелось на самом деле знали, как читать и говорить на языке только так я могу их опыт, как они были изначально сделал.

Я сделаю все возможное, чтобы убедиться, что русский перевод будет читаться так и быть, как весело, как то, что вы сделали.

SeadogX
29.07.2008, 14:42
you didn't have to translate this text, it looks funny, i think if any of us wants to understand you, he will understand you in English =)

LordDrow
30.07.2008, 07:03
I figured it would look funny, but also just had to try. **smiles**

LordDrow
03.08.2008, 22:49
Another pack of untranslatable words!

Thanks!

обознались = oboznalis
расстанешься = rasstaneshsya
поторговаться = potorgovatsya
побеспокоил = pobespokoil
освобожу = osvobozhu
восстанвить = vosstanvit
расскрытия = rasskrytiya
воостановим = voostanovim
проходимцев = prohodimtsev
откажешь = otkazhesh
смекалке = smekalke
клоповнике = klopovnike
конура = konura
переночую = perenochuyu
сдаешь = sdaesh
прикупить = FIFa
опаздали = opazdali
Чтож = Chtozh
прикажу = prikazhu
работенки = rabotenki
скоратить = skoratit
доволньно = dovolnno
взглянутьна = vzglyanutna
незачто = nezachto
Деласкеса = Delaskesa - Is this a name?
вёз = vez
зацепку = zatsepku
обокрали = obokrali
выбивать = ndd
прирежешь = prirezhesh
отблагадорю = otblagadoryu
фектование = fektovanie
кирасы = kirasy
уменьшаме = umenshame
потмоу = potmou
крутость = krutost
фэйдом = feydom
запомненных = zapomnennyh
квестовую = kvestovuyu

dima12
07.08.2008, 01:28
обознались = обознаться = (mis-)take smb. for smb. else
расстанешься = расставаться = расстаться = separate (from)
поторговаться = торговаться = торговать = trade (in smth. with smb.)
побеспокоил = побеспокоить = disturb ( мешать) ; bother, trouble ( утруждать) ; inconvenience, put to inconvenience ( причинять неудобство)

освобожу = освобождать = exempt (from), excuse (from), release (from)
восстанвить (mistake in word) = восстанавливать = recover, restore, recuperate
расскрытия (mistake in word) = раскрытие = opening
воостановим (mistake in word) = восстанавливать = recover, restore, recuperate
проходимцев = проходимец (+ множественное число) = impostor, villain, crook, rogue, scoundrel, rascal
откажешь = отказать = отказывать = refuse (smth. to smb.), deny (a pers. smth.), turn smb. down
смекалке = смекалка = смекать = see, realize; grasp the meaning (of)
клоповнике = the phrase has no concrete translation. Here comparison = bed(-)bug, bug = Bad place =)
конура = kennel; hovel = dog-hole

переночую = переночевать = spend the night, crash with
сдаешь = сдавать = deliver, return, lease
прикупить = прикупать = buy (some more)
опаздали (mistake in word) = опоздать = be late (for); be overdue
Что ж = (Exclaims surprise, a concession, the consent, expectation) well
прикажу = приказать = приказывать = order (to), command (to); give orders (to); direct (to)
работенки = work, job (In the diminutive caressing form)
скоратить (mistake in word) = скоротать = while away, pass, beguile

доволньно = (The word specifies to other person that that has broken off or has stopped)
взглянутьна (mistake in word = взглянуть на) = взглядывать = look (at); give a glance/look; glance (at); cast a glance (at, on)
незачто (mistake in word = Не за что) = There is nothing
Деласкеса = Delaskesa - Is this a name? = Yea, this is name of hero
вёз = возить = drive, transport, convey
зацепку = зацепка = pretext, hitch, catch, snag
обокрали = обкрадывать = rob
выбивать = beat out, knock out, kick out, drive out; dislodge
1) to dislodge the enemy
2) to knock the nonsense out of smb.

прирежешь = прирезать = cut throat (of), kill
отблагадорю (mistake in word = отблагодарю) = отблагодарить = show one's gratitude (to), show one's appreciation (of), return/repay smb.'s kindness
фектование (mistake in word = фехтование) = fencing
кирасы = cuirasses (In extensive sense the reservation and an armour; now - chest and back or only a chest armour, from iron or steel)
уменьшаме (mistake in word) = уменьшать = diminish, decrease, lessen; reduce; abate; cut down; extenuate
потмоу (mistake in word) = потому= therefore, which/that is why
крутость = harshness, sternness
фэйдом = Word is english - fade. Whence you have taken it?
запомненных = запоминать = remember, keep in mind; memorize
квестовую = Word is english - Quest. Whence you have taken it?

LordDrow
08.08.2008, 04:25
Excellent, thanks for providing those additional translations for me, Dima.

Tis greatly appreciated!!

LordDrow

SeadogX
15.08.2008, 14:37
"не за что" на Западе говорят no problem )

Деласкеса = Delaskesa - Is this a name? = Yea, this is name of hero

имена собственные в английском языке не склоняются, т.е. просто Delaskes

LordDrow, show me please abusive sea language as it should be, cuz i can't find it anywhere but we need it to make a real caribbean style, for example some phrases like about thousand of devils, sea devil and the others

LordDrow
16.08.2008, 03:37
Well, explaining just how curses would work is a bit tough as it has a lot to do with context, as I'm sure you know.
Lets say a captain gives an order to his crew and he wants them to be quick about it, he'd probably say it something like this
"Avast ye dogs, swab thet deck an' make shore the cannon 'r well polished or the cap'n 'll 'ave yer arses keel 'auled in no time" = 'You slobs, get that deck mopped and the cannons polished or the captain will have you keel hauled'

Avast = Attention
Dogs = Sailors or pirate sailors
Keel Haul = to discipline a man by tying a rope to wrists, heaving the rope over the side of the ship and around her keel, then tying the other end to the mans ankles, then they are pulled around the keel of the ship several times. Usually resulting in their death due to lacerations from barnacles and drowning....
by the devil = thousand devils - This is a rough guess. This is something that would be open to a bit of interpretation depending on situation I believe.
scurvy dogs! = usually used derogitorily towards the crewmen by officers indicating the men are lazy or useless.
sea devil is a rough one to give an idea of, there are many words that would fit.
Rogue, demon, devil, scourge and more would work. Again that would be really based on the situation we are working with.
Also there will be a definite difference in the speech patterns of an educated man versus the average pirate or seaman. Most officers will be educated and thier text should reflect that. More pirate type officers would have a rougher speech style, possibly sounding less educated or more filled with curses and foul language.
Though there will be some exceptions to that rule, as Blackbeard for example is said to have been an actually very well educated man who just preferred cultivating a colorful air and speech that would shock more 'civilized' members of society.

Cap'n Drow

SeadogX
16.08.2008, 13:19
oh yea, that was brilliant, i wanted right what you've written "avast ye dogs and etc" :) brilliant.
well, sure, as you said, that will be actual not for each charachter, what about the main hero, Peter Blake, it's nice question what his speech shoould look like, well, he's spaniard, but an english in his half, or... no... wait, it will be better if first i'll ask our team bosses who are the authors of the concept )))

Корс, или кто-нибудь ещё, опишите здесь вкратце официальную авторскую видимость Питера Блейка, я так понимаю, он испанец, а вот насчет английских корней поподробнее?

З.Ы. ну, как уже поняли, это нужно для английской стилизации текстов.

Рейтинг@Mail.ru Rambler's Top100
© Copyright 2007-2015 BestGamer.Ru

vBulletin, Copyright © Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.